Featured Post

Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog everyone!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Poem Reference in books

Last night, I just finally finished reading Heat Wave - awesome book, especially if you love the TV show Castle. I have recently found that now two books I have read, in fact, have a reference to a well known poem and one of my favorites by Robert Frost. The poem is called "Fire And Ice."

The first book I have read that has a reference to the poem is the Twilight Saga book, Eclipse. The poem is quoted in the beginning pages before the actual book starts. In Eclipse, I think she refers to the poem as a way to describe the decision Bella is faced with. 'Fire' being in referring to the werewolves because they are hot and 'ice' being in referring to the vampires because they are cold.

The second book I have read that has a reference to the poem is the book, Heat Wave. One of the shops the detective and writer visit is named "Fire and Icing." The writer character, Rook quotes the first two lines of the poem.

The poem: "Fire And Ice"
"Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice."

- Robert Frost

It is pretty sweet when books reference poems. Maybe I should refer to a poem (though not particularly this exact one), if and/or when I write a book myself someday.

- Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment